Serra da Estrela and its surrounding regions offer some beautiful cycling routes for both mountain bikers and road cyclists. Here are some of the most beautiful cycling routes in and around Serra da Estrela:
1. Torre: The ascent of Portugal’s highest mountain, Torre, is a challenging ride for mountain bikers. You can take the trails that lead through the natural park, enjoying rugged terrain and stunning views.
2. Vale do Rossim: This route takes you to the Vale do Rossim lake and offers both relaxing paths and technically challenging sections.
3. Loriga to Manteigas: A beautiful descent from Loriga to Manteigas, with spectacular views of the surrounding mountains.
4. Parque Natural da Serra da Estrela: There are numerous unmarked trails and roads in the Serra da Estrela natural park that adventurous mountain bikers can explore. A GPS device or a local guide can be handy.
1. Covilhã to Manteigas: This is a popular route that takes you through picturesque villages and rolling hills.
2. Seia to Gouveia: A stunning ride through the hills of Serra da Estrela, with opportunities to stop and enjoy local cuisine and wine.
3. Around Serra da Estrela Loop: For those who enjoy a challenge, you can attempt to cycle a loop around the entire Serra da Estrela. This is a long and demanding ride, but it offers some of the most breathtaking views in the region.
4. Vale Glaciar do Zêzere: This route takes you to the glacial lake in the natural park and offers a great mix of challenging climbs and scenic descents.
Make sure you have the right gear for your cycling adventures, including suitable tires for the terrains you want to explore. Don’t forget to bring enough water and snacks, as some parts of Serra da Estrela can be quite remote. Safety comes first, so ride cautiously on the roads and trails.